I’ve been in a slump lately and I have to admit it is the worst. I have not happy and I really could not figure out why. Have you ever had the feeling? What do you do to get back on track? I knew it was an issue when my husband told me I need to take more time to myself and let go of some things. So, I was infecting everyone with this yucky unhappiness.
I had to change so I decided to take some steps daily to find my happy. Because being miserable and having it spread to my loves is not the life they deserve and not the vibe I want to give.
So I sat down in a quiet space and thought about what could be making me unhappy. I made a list of unhappy things and a list of happy things. The happy things list was amazingly long compared to the unhappy things. At that moment, I knew that I had to make a decision. Not that I would ignore the things that make unhappy or maybe it is making me uncomfortable.
I reviewed my list of things and decided to focus on 10 of those things every day.
- Appreciate What I Already Have – I am so blessed to have the love, and people in my life. Before I get out of bed, I take a few minutes to meditate and name at least three things I am grateful for.
- Take Care of Myself – This may be the hardest thing for me. I am such a caretaker of others, from my kids, husband, and family. The first step in taking care of myself is getting healthy. I have started going to the gym and nourishing my mind (with good books/words) and body (with good food).
- Being My Best Self – This means being honest with myself and having that difficult conversation about where I am, who I am, and if I am really doing my best to reach my goals and live the life I want. I have started to break down my goals (weekly, monthly, and yearly) so I track them better.
- Being Present in the Moment – That means putting up my phone when my kids want my attention. Focusing on the task at hand and stop trying to multitask. I noticed that I get so much more out of being present that I do when I am trying to do 3 things at a time.
- Notice the Little Things – In the mornings, I always look up for the moon and tell my kids to look and see how beautiful it is. Taking notice of the birds singing, or the walk from my car to the office. Enjoy the little things that make this world so wonderful.
- Make Someone Else Happy – I do this daily at work by going by my co-workers desk and just sharing a smile and good morning.
- Do Something I Love Daily – I love learning something new. So I listen to a podcast on my way to work and on my way home every day. I am also reading more books.
- Be Around Happy People – I apply this to online social media as well as people in person. It has gotten really easy to unfriend/unfollow people if they are not contributing to my happiness.
- Laugh – it is amazing what laughter can do to make you feel better. I have no problem with this because my kids are some of the funniest humans ever.
- Change What I Can and Let Go of Everything Else – I ask myself can I change this? If the answer is yes then I make a plan. If the answer is no then I let it go and not put any more energy into it.
Being happy is a choice. It’s a decision I have to remember to make every day. I am learning how to shift my unhappy thoughts to happy thoughts. It’s a process, sometimes the simplest things can get me down, but by going through my list and staying positive in the midst of living this forever changing life.